Registration for the PNW UU Kids Camp has opened!
UUC has a long and wonderful tradition of offering Chalice Camp in the summer—a day camp which includes art, music, games, worship, and fun field trips for exploring Unitarian Universalism and nurturing community. Last summer, in response to the pandemic, we partnered with other UU congregations in the area to offer the first ever PNW UU Kids Camp. It was an online, home-based day camp, each week focused on a different topic, and it was a ton of fun.
This summer, we are partnering with some of those same congregations to offer the PNW UU Kids Camp again. Again, it will be online and home-based, with activities and projects for children to do together over Zoom and offline on their own. We are offering three camps, over two weeks.
Univerlarian University of Wizarding Arts: June 28-July 2
UUWA is a virtual wizarding program—a week of fun and fantasy for kids, rooted in values of justice, action, unity, worth, courage, and possibility.
For this week of camp, we’ll be partnering even more widely! Young wizards from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean, the US and Canada, will convene for UUWA!
Our campus will meet virtually from June 28 through July 2, with an optional in person outdoor gathering on Wednesday, June 30. Each day will be filled with magic, play, adventure, imagination, and justice, based in UU values. Every wizard, ages 5-13, will receive a package of supplies for their house meetings and classes over the week.
The week will kick off with a sorting ceremony on Monday morning and close with a graduation celebration on Friday evening. Days will run from 9-11 and 1-3 pm. There will be additional optional time for socializing during the lunch break. On Wednesday evening, we will gather together with the campuses across North America.
Good Trouble; A Minecraft Camp (Grade 3+): August 16-20
Our Minecraft group will work together to will explore how social justice movements around the world influenced positive changes in society or in a community.
Over the week of camp, the participants will work together as a team to:
- Learn about social justice movements across history.
- Research important person(s) across various social justice movements and their role within those movements.
- Understand important social justice movements, the leaders, and the purpose behind them.
- Explore how to make meaningful choices to influence positive change.
We will be using both Zoom and Minecraft at the same time. A computer screen with Zoom minimized (to see the speaker) and Minecraft maximized will work. Two screens/devices would be ideal.
- Device(s) with stable internet connection
- Minecraft Java Edition – version 1.16.4 (Note: phone/tablet editions of Minecraft are not compatible)
Rainbow Path (Grade K-2): August 16-20
We are so excited to bring back the Rainbow Path week of Camp!
In this week of camp, we’ll use the colors of the rainbow, art, and music to explore our Unitarian Universalist principles. Over the course of our week together, children will create self-portraits, use tissue and wax paper to create ‘stained glass,’ make handprint doves, and more! Children will also learn favorite Unitarian Universalist hymns, like “Spirit of Life,” and “Love Will Guide Us.”
Youth Counselor Applications are also open!
During each of these weeks, Youth Counselors will assist adult leaders as needed, and help with activities, games, and creative art projects. Youth Counselors are expected to be present for the whole week and as much of the Camp activities as possible.
For each week of camp, participants will pick-up boxed materials and other goodies for Camp at their home church on the Sunday afternoon before camp begins (June 27 and August 15). Youth Counselors may be expected to help out with these pick-up events as well.
If you are invited to participate in the PNW UU Kids Camp, you must meet all minimum qualifications, attend the training, and commit to fulfilling all Camp Counselor responsibilities. Counselor positions are open to youth entering grades 9-12 in the fall.
- Youth Counselor Applications are due May 16, 2021.
- Interviews will take place during the last week of May and the first week of June.
- Staffing decisions will be made at the beginning of June.
- Youth Counselors can choose to count their time as Volunteer Hours or to receive a $200 per week stipend.
- The mandatory Counselor Training for UUWA will be in the early afternoon on June 13, 2021. Training for the Minecraft and Rainbow Path Camps will be in the early afternoon on August 1, 2021.
For more information about the PNW UU Kids Camp, please contact Aria Curtis at firstname.lastname@example.org.