“Tell me, what will you do with your one wild and precious life?” – Mary Oliver
All UUC members expected to serve the church as part of their stewardship of University Unitarian Church, and all UUC friends are invited and encouraged to do so as well. There are many ways to contribute your unique skills and talents here. Some opportunities are ongoing, and others are time limited. Below are some of the on-going teams that are ready to welcome you! Short-term or special needs are announced from time to time.
|Sunday Welcoming and Hospitality||UUC Bookstore|
|Family Ministry||Committees and Ministry Programs|
|Art Committee||Caring Shawls Knitting/Crocheting Group|
|Helping Hands||Connections Team|
|Memorial Reception Committee||Small Groups|
If you’d like some guidance or are looking for a specific activity, or have a particular skill, please stop by the Connections Table on any Sunday. We’d love to talk with you and help you find “where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet,” as theologian Frederich Buechner said.
Sunday Welcoming and Hospitality
Sunday welcoming teams include ushers, greeters, coffee & hospitality, and Connections volunteers. Working together, they create an intentional climate of warmth and welcome for all who come through the doors at UUC.
- Coffee Crew – Sets up coffee, tea and other refreshments for Sunday Services. Team co-leads are Chuck Harwood and Elaine Greggs.
- Greeters – Welcome visitors, members and friends to UUC each Sunday and help them find their way. Team lead is Ellen Wallace.
- Ushers – These key volunteers welcome all to the Chapel and help people find seats there or in Nathan Johnson Hall (overflow seating to watch the livestream – also ideal for those who need to move around a bit). Ushers collect the offering each Sunday, and offer assistive listening devices. Team lead is Alison McCormick.
- UUC Connections Station – Find video monitors with information on UUC events and activities, and often a friendly and knowledgeable volunteer to answer questions and provide resources about Unitarian Universalism and UUC, help people sign up for classes and events, and support connections to small groups, volunteering, and other church activities.
- UUC Info Sessions – Connections volunteers host small, informal in-gatherings to welcome visitors and the curious to UUC, get to know newcomers a bit, engage questions about Unitarian Universalism and this congregation, and offer individual connections to people, programs, and activities at UUC. Just drop by the Dix Room (lower floor) after any Sunday Service.
Contact Janine Larsen, UUC Director of Ministries, to find our more or sign up to help on any of these teams.
You can also bring a contribution of snacks or treats for Sunday Hospitality tables, any quantity, any time. Treats must be ready to serve and easy to eat out-of-hand. Just drop them by the kitchen in Nathan Johnson Hall when you arrive. A member of the Coffee Crew will be glad to receive your goodies and offer you an ingredients tag, so people with dietary restrictions can find the information they need to feel welcome, too!
The UUC Bookstore is open on Sunday mornings following each service. New volunteers are always welcome. Interested? Contact Janine Larsen (Janine.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cindy Fuller (email@example.com).
For Children & Youth
Does teaching or mentoring children or youth feed your soul? Many people tell us that working with children or youth gives them hope for the future. You might consider volunteering in our Religious Education classes, teaching Our Whole Lives (OWL) human sexuality curriculum, or being a mentor for our ninth grade Coming of Age (COA) Program. Contact Aria Curtis, UUC’s Director of Family Ministry, for more information or to volunteer.
Perhaps you have a skill or passion that you would like to share with other adults in our community. You might consider offering to teach or facilitate an adult education class. Contact Janine Larsen, UUC’s Director of Ministries.
Committees and Ministry Programs
What ministry of the church do you want to help nurture?
For information on our Social Justice groups, Care Ministries and Memorial Reception Committee, contact the Rev. Beth Chronister and explore the Social Justice menu. For information about other programs and committees, contact Janine Larsen, UUC’s Director of Ministries.
The Art Committee’s goal is to make sure that visual art is an integral component of the physical space facilities, worship services, and other programs of University Unitarian Church. We select emerging and established local artists to exhibit their work in our Chapel and host occasional exhibits of work by church members. We hang the exhibits, host artist receptions, handle art sales, and care for the artworks which are owned by the church. We may also become involved in finding or commissioning new art for spaces in our recently remodeled building. Volunteers come from a range of backgrounds; no special expertise is required. For more information or to become involved in the work of the Art Committee, please contact Rhona Jack, or Judy Oerkvitz.
Caring Shawls Knitting/Crocheting Group
See our Small Groups page for more information.
The Helping Hands team is part of our Care Ministries. It provides occasional rides and meals for people who need a little extra help. You can ask for a helping hand whether you are ill, have surgery, maybe a care-giver needs a vacation, or for a happy occasion like having a baby! Volunteering for Helping Hands is an easy way to show you care. Contact the Care Team if you need a helping hand or for information on how you can lend a helping hand.
We also want to match drivers who could add a passenger (either occasionally or regularly) when driving to and from church. Let the Care Team know if this is something you would be willing to do.
The Connections Team focuses on several areas of congregational life, including
- Staffing the Connections Station every Sunday morning
- Facilitating UUC Info Sessions after every Sunday service
- Supporting “Exploring UU” classes and welcoming new members
- Assisting visitors and mentoring new members in finding their places within our community
- Organizing community-building activities and events.
Contact Janine Larsen, UUC Director of Minsitries, if you are interested in joining the Connections Team or would like more information.
Memorial Reception Committee
The Memorial Reception Committee helps provide gracious space for the friends and family members who wish to remain together for a time after memorial services at the church. We arrange small tables, simple decorations, and prepare and serve coffee, tea, punch, and cookies, provided by the church. Additional foods and/or beverages may be provided and served by family. Contact the Rev. Beth Chronister to be connected to committee leaders. During UUC’s building period, memorial services will be held at neighboring UU churches.
Participating in a small group is a wonderful way to get that small church feeling and still enjoy the benefits of being part of a large church community! View our Small Groups.