Whether you are visiting us for the first time, are still relatively new to UUC, or have been around for a while, welcome! We look forward to helping you explore this community and find what you are looking for.
What to Expect
- During our regular church year (September-June) we have two worship services each Sunday morning, at 9:30 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. In the summer we have just one worship service. Immediately following the service is an opportunity for coffee and conversation. Please feel free to drop in and attend a service at any time.
- A friendly greeter will be there to welcome you, give you a name tag and help you find your way around. Please feel free to ask the greeters any questions you have.
- Since Unitarian Universalist (UU) congregations are self-governing, each church, fellowship and community has a distinct way of offering and expressing UU. We encourage you to visit different UU churches in the area and see what feels right to you. University Unitarian is the largest UU church in the state of Washington, and is one of the oldest (started in 1913). Our preferred style is more formal than some of the other UU churches in the Pacific Northwest. Our ministers usually wear robes and our services usually feature choir music as well as hymns sung by the whole the congregation. You’ll hear readings from various wisdom traditions and contemporary sources. We’ll invite an offering for the work of the church or to support a community organization. Our ministers will lead prayer or meditation and deliver sermons that speak to issues of life today, offering solace and calling us to reflection and action.
- Many people ask what they should wear. You will see some dresses and suits & ties, and plenty of jeans, shorts and comfortable shoes. We welcome gender-non-binary attire. Wear what feels good to you. In other words, you’ll fit right in!
UUC is a Welcoming Congregation
We have been working hard for years to make sure lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, non-binary and queer people feel welcome here. Being welcoming means striving for radical inclusion, and creating spaces that honor every part of our identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
UUC is a Family-Friendly Congregation
- Children and youth of all ages are welcome in the services on Sunday mornings. It’s okay if kids get wiggly and babies make noises; it makes us smile! To help make church a positive experience for all members of your family, here are a few things we thought you might like to know:
- Our “Sprouts” room offers attentive and loving childcare during Sunday services year-round for little ones age 6 months to 4½ years. You can leave your cell number with the teachers, put your phone on vibrate, and ask them to contact you if your child is inconsolable for more than 10 minutes (or whatever you decide). That way you can have peace of mind knowing that your sweet pea is resting or playing safely while you are in the sanctuary.
- We offer high-quality Sunday morning programs for children and youth from preschool through high school ages throughout the regular church year. During the summer months, we offer a variety of multi-age activities. Please see our Family Ministry page to learn more about these programs and how to register.
- Our ushers have a basket of crayons and coloring sheets in the Sanctuary. If you’d like some, please ask any usher for them.
- You are welcome to walk in and out of the sanctuary with your child as needed.
- When we get fully settled in to our newly renovated building, we’ll have a nursing room available and other comfortable places to sit with your little one during Sunday services. Plans are still unfolding, but we expect you’ll be able to listen in or watch the sanctuary remotely in these quieter spots.
Want to find out more about UUC?
UUC is a large church with lots of activities, classes, and events going on every Sunday and most other days and evenings too. Nearly everything is open to visitors, and we’d love to help you find your way. Here are some tips!
- Take advantage of a name tag that has the word “Visitor” on it. Our greeters and staff will look for you to say hello, introduce themselves, and get to know you a bit!
- Stop by the Connections station in the social hall before or after services to pick up a brochure, sign up for an event, ask a question, and let us know how we can help you feel welcome.
- Fill out a UUC Connections card on-line or at the Connections station. We’ll follow up with you to answer questions and get you information about areas of the church that may be important to you.
- Sign up for our e-News, delivered to your inbox each Friday afternoon.
- Take home the Order of Service flyer any Sunday – there’s a list of upcoming events on the flip side. You can also browse the News items and Calendar on this website to find other opportunities for involvement. Our UUC Facebook Page is another resource to find out more about church activities.
- You’re also welcome to call or stop in to the church office Sunday through Thursday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Our friendly staff will be happy to visit with you or show you around.
University Unitarian Church Information Sessions
Please come to one of the UUC Information Sessions which take place following the church service on the first Sunday of each month. (Check the calendar for the room number, or just ask at the Connections station.) When the first Sunday falls on a holiday weekend, we’ll hold our Info Session on the second Sunday of the month instead. There is no charge and no need to sign up; just come on in! This is a friendly place to ask any questions you have about UUC, and meet other people who are new to the community.