Volunteer with UUC’s Family Ministry Program
Looking for ways to build community? Interested in deepening your own religious understanding? Consider volunteering with Family Ministry!
There are lots of ways for adults to be involved with Family Ministry at UUC, but one of our most prominent is to volunteer in a religious education (RE) class. Adults who volunteer in an RE class often find the experience deeply rewarding. By holding the framework and creating the setting through which children develop their spiritual lives, adult volunteers often deepen their own sense of Unitarian Universalism, theology, and values. It can be inspiring and joyful to witness children grow, and it can be very fun.
This year, we invite you to consider volunteering in these classes:
- Sprouts (6 months–4 years): Help create a loving and caring environment for our youngest communities to have fun and create new friendships during the services.
- Spirit Play (preschool–1st grade): Tell stories that explore ethical questions, of wonder and awe, and of our sense of self. Create a supportive environment, where children learn about community and Unitarian Universalism through play.
- Elementary RE (2nd–5th grade): In our “Superhero Academy,” use the stories of beloved superheroes like Black Panther and Ms. Marvel to explore themes of anti-oppression, personal responsibility, and love.
- World Religions (6th–7th grade): Alongside our middle school community members, learn about neighbors in faith and the origins of Unitarian Universalism. If all goes as planned, we will get to visit nearby churches and other houses of worship!
- Coming of Age (9th–10th grade): Serve as a mentor to a young person on their faith journey. Coming of Age mentors support youth through this rite of passage program, exploring who they are and their personal faith and beliefs.
- Youth Group (9th–12th grade): Using games, discussion, and crafts, create the space for fun, fellowship and spiritual deepening for high school age youth.
To learn more about any of the RE classes and how you can get involved, please contact our Director of Family Ministry, Aria Curtis, at email@example.com.