Greener Possibilities Fair: Resources for Building Arks of Resilience
Sunday, October 30, 2–4 p.m. on the campuses of UUC and Beth Shalom
(6556 and 6800 35th Avenue NE, Seattle)
Finally, the rain has come and the smoke has passed. Feel the relief, and take the opportunity to find resources for building resilience and come together in community to step up to the challenges ahead at the Greener Possibilities Fair. This is an interfaith event organized by the UUC Climate Action Team and the Green Team at Congregation Beth Shalom. Come meet our neighbors, explore the booths on both campuses, stop in at the UUC bookstore, and enjoy the treats and music. List of participating groups.
Here are highlights of what you will find in the Home Improvement and Transportation sections:
Home Improvement (at UUC, unless otherwise noted*)
- Seattle City Light staff will offer resources that can help you use energy more wisely, lower your electricity bill, transition to renewable energy, and protect the planet for future generations. For most homes, the largest energy costs come from heating and cooling. Come learn about efficient space and water heating and weatherization solutions.
- Eric Denny Architecture: This is a wonderful opportunity to get ideas for creative, sustainable design solutions from a local architect and member of UUC.
- Induction Range Demos: Come learn about induction ranges, and see demonstrations at both sites. Induction ranges are planet-friendly, faster, safer and avoid health risks of cooking with natural gas.
- Sphere Solar: An organization offering the full range of solar installations, including residential, commercial, ground mount, battery backup, charging stations, and consulting. Their outreach has included a project with local indigenous groups and education efforts with a number of BIPOC groups and our neighborhood high school, Nathan Hale. Their Washington office is in Seattle at 9520 Roosevelt Way.
- *A&R Solar Paul Reinken Solar Design Consultant: “Reduce your carbon footprint, shrink your electric bill, go solar with confidence.” You will find this group at Congregation Beth Shalom with the Environmental Justice Advocacy Group.
Transportation (UUC parking lots and under the covered walkway)
- Bikes and electric bikes: Ride your e-bike or regular bicycle and join the gathering under the covered walkway as you enter the lower level parking-lot entrance to UUC.
- Seattle Electric Vehicle Association: Find them in the UUC parking lot. If you have an electric car park nearby! Join the electric car parade around the block at 1:45 p.m.
- Going carless: Talk to people who have gone carless and get around with public transportation, walking, Uber or Lyft, and are finding delight in the experience!
If you have questions or want more information, please contact CAT co-chairs Nancy Maranville or Catherine Ruha.