Holiday Giving—Warm Clothes to Benefit Teen Feed
Winter, and the holidays in particular, are even more challenging for teens living on the streets. Like the last several years, UUC’s holiday giving will focus on Teen Feed, a critical safety net for homeless teens in our community. Teen Feed provides homeless teens with advocacy, meals and necessities throughout the year.
UUC has partnered with Teen Feed for nearly 15 years. Our UUC Meal Team prepares and serves 1–2 meals every month, with an intergenerational team of congregants ranging in age from 16 to over 70. Over the past 2 years, Teen Feed has continued to serve to-go meals and connected with teens through street outreach. They have also expanded their role to assist teens with health check-ins, and with access to COVID testing, vaccines and other health resources. This year, Teen Feed has served 14,000 meals to 900 individuals. By year end, they expect to have served 28,000 meals. Teen Feed is the only outreach and case management program focused on the unique needs of street youth, ages 13–25, in the University-District. Youth trust and rely on Teen Feed’s supportive services, advocacy and case management.
This year you can choose one or more of three ways to help teens in need:
- Drop off your donated items on Sunday, December 12, or Monday, December 13 or Tuesday, December 14. Purchase some of the basics items most needed during the winter months and drop off your donations before or after attending the Sunday worship service on December 12, or drop off in the donations box in the atrium on Monday, or Tuesday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.
- Choose items from Teen Feed’s Amazon wish list and have your items sent directly to Teen Feed. Click here to learn more about that option. You can shop and then choose “Teen Feed’s Gift Registry Address” at checkout. The items will be delivered directly to Teen Feed.
- Make a financial contribution to UUC for Holiday Giving, and Teen Feed will shop for the most needed items.
- Submit a check made payable to UUC by Sunday, December 12, and note “Teen Feed Holiday Giving” on the memo line. Drop your check by the church office, or hand it to one of UUC’s Meal Team volunteers on December 12.
- OR, make your donation online through UUC Connect. Choose Give Online, enter the amount, select the “Special Plate” fund, and enter “Teen Feed Holiday Giving” on the Memo line. (This online option will be available through December 16.)
The following items are most requested by the teens this year:
- Men’s Coats/Jackets (large-2XL)
- Blankets (twin-sized throws & blankets)
- Hand Warmers
- Wool socks
- Adult-sized gloves (light-weight and fingerless are both popular)
- Adult-sized wool and Polartec beanies
- Rain jackets and ponchos
Like everyone else, these teens appreciate new items to bring some love and warmth to their holidays!
To find out more about our long-term partnership with Teen Feed, or inquire about any donations you have for the Warm Clothes Holiday Giving program, feel free to contact Pam.