Volunteer to Help Individuals Experiencing Homelessness
Are you looking for ways to be involved in helping individuals who are experiencing homelessness? The UUC’s Economic Justice Team (EJT) has opportunities for you!
Lake City Partners Ending Homelessness (https://lakecitypartners.org/) is a leader in providing essential services to individuals facing homelessness in North Seattle through its day shelter, case management programs, meals, and nighttime winter shelter. UUC members looking for ways to help those struggling with housing insecurity in these difficult times can be involved in two ways:
1. As we did last winter, UUC’s EJT will support the winter shelter by coordinating church members to provide meals for shelter guests. Due to COVID, volunteers will no longer be serving meals at the shelter sites, but volunteers are still needed to prepare and/or deliver food. We are committed to providing meals on the following dates:
- Saturday, October 24 dinner and Sunday, October 25 breakfast
- Sunday, November 8 dinner and Monday, November 9 breakfast
- Friday, November 20 dinner and Saturday, November 21 breakfast
2. Early in 2021 a new permanent 24/7 shelter will be opening in Shoreline, and Lake City Partners will operate it. This year-round facility will replace the temporary Winter Shelters and will be able to serve many more individuals. Volunteers are needed from September 18 to October 1 to help clean and prepare the rooms of this facility, a former nursing home. Volunteers will work in small groups at safe distances using best practices, in shifts of 3 or 4 hours.
For more information or to sign up individually or as a family or group, contact Sallie Dacey at email@example.com.