Welcome to Sundays at UUC!
Welcome back to University Unitarian Church! Last Sunday’s return to our sparkling, renewed building was a time of big smiles, joyful tears, gorgeous music, delight, and poignancy. A little disorientation (“Where are those bathrooms again? I’m all turned around!”). Eagerness to get started on the fullness of the rest of this church year (“Hurrah! No more waiting!”). Tenderness (“I never thought I would live to see this.”) Kindness (“Please sit. Let me get your coffee for you.”). And still more patience (“Well, a few glitches are to be expected in a new building. It’ll get fixed.”)
If you would like to share an observation, please record it in the “Compliments” and “Complaints” books that you’ll find at the UUC Info Station on the counter at the west wall of Nathan Johnson Hall. If you note a safety issue or a repair needed, please write it down and give it to any staff person, or drop it off in the Church Office on the lower floor. The office will be open every Sunday, and staffed by Jessica Monahan, our office manager.
Most of our rooms are reconfigured, so it will take us some time to arrange furnishings, equipment, signage, technology, and supplies to fit our new space and make the most of new functionality. This includes our hospitality and fellowship time before and after each Sunday service. Thank you to the many congregants who offered suggestions for improvements to the flow and layout of coffee and cookies in Nathan Johnson Hall. (And a special THANK YOU!!! to all who brought delicious cookies and tasty treats for everyone’s enjoyment!)
We’ll be experimenting over the next several weeks to find just the right placements. In the meantime, here are some tidbits about Sunday logistics and hospitality:
- Coffee, decaf, hot water and tea will be available in Nathan Johnson Hall and in the Atrium (the lobby on the lower floor).
- Water is available from fountains near the restrooms on both floors. If you would like a cup of water, please ask at the kitchen window.
- Please leave your used cups on the trays or bins provided so that we may easily collect them for washing. Please dispose of compost, recyclables, and trash in the appropriate bins.
- If you notice an empty carafe, please bring it to the kitchen so our Coffee Crew volunteers can refresh the beverage stations.
- If you replace an empty carafe with a full one waiting in the wings, please take care to note whether it is coffee, decaf or hot water and place it correctly – each carafe is labeled.
- Older children or parents of young children may request a juice box at the kitchen window.
- Please do not take food or beverages into the sanctuary (Chapel). You are welcome to leave your travel cups and water bottles on the designated table before you enter.
- We will be offering simple cookies after each service, in Nathan Johnson Hall only. If you would like to share something special on Sunday morning, including fruit or vegetables, we would be delighted to accept your donations and put them out for all! We will appreciate your bringing these ready to serve, on your own (labeled) platters or bowls. Coffee Crew volunteers are not able to prepare fruit, etc., for serving at this time, as we learn our ways around the kitchen.
- Please do not enter the kitchen on Sunday mornings. Wait at the window, and one of the volunteers will assist you.
- Please do not bring tea, condiments, or kitchen supplies to donate to the kitchen at this time. We are still finding places for everything!
Thank you for helping UUC welcome everyone each Sunday!