UUC Renovation and Expansion Project
We are excited to share with you the progress on our new home, the one we have envisioned together and are working together to realize! During the process of renovating and modestly expanding our buildings, we invite everyone to learn more and get involved. Open communication is our top priority.
—Stacy Carlson; Jan Hood; Byron Krystad, UUC Director of Operations; Rev. Jon M. Luopa; Carolyn Rasch; Lee Anne Warner
On This Page
Look to this page for recent updates, announcements, requests and other news. We appreciate everyone’s enthusiasm and welcome your energy.
Do we still have a $17 million project? Yes, that is still our objective.
Our partner, BNBuilders, sent out our construction drawings to subcontractors for bidding in March. The bids were returned in early April. UUC and BNBuilders are now reviewing bids to settle on a guaranteed maximum price for the project so we can sign a contract for construction. Read More.
- On Jan. 31, we finished the most intensive phase when we completed Construction Drawings and submitted them to the City for permitting. These will also be used for bidding.
- PSIT and Hacker architects held weekly video-conference calls from Nov. through Jan.
- We are now in the Bidding and Permitting phase. In this phase, we continue to revise the drawings to respond to comments from the City and cost-cutting recommendations from subcontractors.
- We encourage UUC members to volunteer with a PSIT support team. Various skills and time commitments will be needed as we work together on this exciting project! Please see Get Involved.
We are uplifted by our unity! UUC members are in this exciting project together—thanks to the participation and support from hundreds of members, UUC teams, staff, volunteers and donors. PSIT and the Capital Campaign Team welcome your involvement.
Read on to learn how you can help—and be sure to visit the Capital Campaign Team, too!
We are thankful for volunteers—and seeking more! Are you a natural organizer or a process guru? We need you! A people person? We need you! Does being on call for short tasks best fit your life? We’ve got a job for you!
PSIT is forming support teams to lead, assist and consult with us through the many important tasks ahead. Currently, we are seeking members for teams shown in red and encourage you to submit a Statement of Interest Form:
- Temporary Site Transition Team. This large team of UUC staff and members will help ensure a smooth, supportive transition for the congregation to our temporary home during construction and back to our new home following its completion. The many tasks of this broadly defined team will require many volunteers.
- Grant Writers. Please contact us if you have experience with writing grants. Specifically, there may be opportunities around sustainable energy.
- Technical Advisory Team. Members of this advisory team have technical expertise to support PSIT with the evaluation and selection of systems and technology for the building infrastructure—for example, acoustics, HVAC, networking and computing, audio-visual, security, solar energy, and gray water recovery.
- Temporary Site Selection Team. This team of UUC members and staff will recommend potential temporary sites that would be suitable for UUC operations during the construction of our new home.
Submit a Statement of Interest Form.
This is the place to get to know the UUC volunteers, staff, architects, contractors and other professionals who are working together on your behalf.
UUC Physical Space Implementation Team (PSIT)
Members, left to right: Rev. Jon M. Luopa; PSIT chair, Lee Anne Warner; Stacy Carlson; Jan Hood; Carolyn Rasch; Byron Krystad, UUC Director of Operations
Convened in 2014 to guide the process of achieving a new home for UUC. We welcome you to connect with us, either in person or using our form to Share Your Thoughts.
PSIT Support Teams and Leads
Temporary Site Selection Team Patricia Chapman, Sallie Dacey, Ann Hirschi, Rev. Jon Luopa, and Byron Krystad
Temporary Site Transition Team TBD
Technical Advisory Team TBD
Grant Writers Dylan Medina, others TBD
UUC Member Architects Advisory Team
Bernard Jalbert, Architect; Emily McNichols, AIA LEED AP Homes; Eric Denny, AIA
Tom Schmidt, Emily Knudsen Leland, Corey Martin, Amelie Reynaud, Jennie Fowler, Jonah Cohen, Andrew Schilling, Hao Zhou
UUC selected Hacker, based in Portland, OR, as our project architects in April 2015. This firm of 50+ is “united by a desire to create spaces that enrich the world—spaces that make us feel more connected to the landscape, each other and ourselves.” Learn more at Hacker.
Jason Steinbacher, Mike Herzog, Steve Gates, Jason Limp
UUC selected BNBuilders in April 2017 as our general contractor. Often called “BNB” for short, the company takes an integrated approach and is committed to customer service. BNB has worked with Hacker on previous projects. Learn more at BNBuilders.
Share Your Thoughts
Let us know what you think! Our project success is dependent on open and accessible communication, and this is the top priority for the Physical Space Implementation Team (PSIT).
Submit your questions, comments and ideas
We respond to all inquiries—just be sure to include your name! We invite you to review past questions and answers –
Construction Development Phase Q&A
Project Vision and History
Project Vision Statement
We envision a physical space that is respectful of the land, full of natural light and fresh air. Our space will be environmentally responsible and sustainable with low maintenance buildings and grounds. Our physical space must be flexible and expandable, and accessible to all who come. We want to be respectful neighbors to those around us. We see a simple design that peacefully reflects our legacy and the Northwest and is compatible with the existing sanctuary.
How We Got Here
Summary of Our Progress to Date
Archived Project Documents
To contact the Physical Space Implementation Team, please try one of these options:
- Fill out our online form in the Share Your Thoughts section above!
- Drop us a note using the postcards provided at the PSIT bulletin board, located between Nathan Johnson Hall and the admin offices.
- Talk with a PSIT team member in person, between services. We try to staff our bulletin board each week.
We respond to every suggestion and inquiry.
To contact UUC, please visit the UUC Contact Us page or call (206) 525-8400.