Becoming a member means that you have chosen University Unitarian Church as your spiritual home; a place to grow and nurture yourself and others, walking your path alongside others doing the same.
Joining a spiritual community is an important personal decision and a serious life commitment.
The covenant of membership is a promise we make to ourselves anded to each other “to awaken spirit, nurture hope and inspire action,” as our mission statement says.
This means that as members, we help one another discover more deeply who we are, and how we may live our values more meaningfully and in new ways. We receive care from the community and provide care for others – and we also have an obligation to care for ourselves.
Why become a member?
- Members take on the mantle and legacy of stewardship for this church. We take pride in being connected in an important way to the rich history of our faith, the knowledge that our support of this community is an expression of care for future generations, and in what the community stands for and does in the world.
- We have a voice in shaping the community and the work that the congregation does in the world. Members may vote and participate in the democratic process to steer the priorities of the church.
- Members are also eligible to serve as delegates to the Pacific Northwest District Annual Meetings and UUA General Assembly. As a large church, we hold a large responsibility to guide the institutions of our faith tradition.
- Members are eligible to hold leadership positions in UUC committees/programs such as the Board of Trustees, Covenant Groups, and the Leadership Development Committee. We can also serve in leadership positions for the District, Region and national Association.
- Members have the privilege of observing rites of passage at the church, officiated by one of our ministers. Such events include weddings, child dedications, and memorial services.
- When you become a member you will receive a complimentary subscription to the UU World magazine, a monthly print and digital publication of the Unitarian Universalist Association. New members also receive a personal chalice and UUC name tag as welcome gifts from the congregation.
What is the path to membership?
Each person approaches this in their own way and own time. We honor this and encourage you to do what is right for you. And, we’re here to help you along the way.
The only two steadfast requirements for membership, according to our bylaws, are the signing of the membership book and making a yearly financial pledge. This can be done at any time by appointment with the Director of Ministries.
However, we encourage you to think of membership as a considered journey along a meaningful path. Many people have asked for a suggested route, so we have sketched it out below.
- Please fill out a Get Connected card and indicate that you would like information on joining UUC. This allows us to get your contact information into the database so that we can let you know when the Exploring UU classes are scheduled, as well as advise you of other events and information for prospective members.
- If you are new to UUC, we encourage you to get to know us over the course of a year or so. Come on Sundays and worship with us; you may want to listen to other sermons on the UUC website, too. We also encourage you to check out some of the other Unitarian Universalist churches in the Seattle area since we all have our own unique personalities.
- So that you can experience the community and UU faith in action on a deeper level, we recommend that you
- attend at least one class, small group experience or social gathering,
- volunteer in some way within the UUC community, and
- participate in a social justice workshop or action
- enroll your children in Religious Education classes and encourage your tweens and teens to participate in youth activities.
- Attend the Exploring UU Classes. These four classes, 90 minutes each, offer an excellent overview of Unitarian Universalism and University Unitarian Church, along with opportunities for personal reflection and interaction with other prospective members. There is no charge for the classes, but please do register so that we know how many people will be attending. See the bottom of this page for upcoming dates. If you are unable to take the class or believe you have already met the learning requirement through other experience, contact the Director of Ministries to arrange an interview and/or materials for A Self-Guided Journey.
- Meet with a Visiting Steward about your pledge commitment. By making and fulfilling a financial pledge of whatever size is right for you, you are not only showing a commitment to sustaining this community, but also participating in the planning process for the budget.
At least once a year, we hold a New Member Celebration. The whole church re-covenants as members during each of the worship services. After the second service, those who are ready to join are welcomed to a celebratory reception with those who have become members within the last two years. New members may sign the book and turn in their pledge forms right there, and join recent members in being honored by all in a welcoming ceremony led by the senior minister and witnessed by key leaders of the church.
If you are interested in joining and/or have questions to discuss, please contact our Director of Ministries.
Upcoming Membership Exploration classes:
You may register online (see the links below), at the Connections Table any Sunday, or by calling the church office during the week at 206-525-8400. Childcare is available if requested at least 10 days in advance.
Fall: Series of four Sundays – October 8, 15, 22, and 29, 2017. Held 9:30 – 11:00 AM (during the first worship service). Childcare is available within the regular Sunday morning Religious Education classes and childcare program. (Children are welcome to enter classes and childcare again while parents attend church during the second service.)
Winter: Series of four Sundays – February 4, 11, 18, 25, 2018. Held 9:30 – 11:00 AM (during the first worship service). Click here to REGISTER NOW.
Spring: Series of four classes, held in two Saturday sessions – April 7 and 14, 9:00 AM to Noon. Plan to attend both sessions. Child care is available at UUC if requested at least 10 days in advance. Click here to REGISTER NOW.
Summer: (Dates TBA)
New Member Reception: For all who have become UUC members over the last two years. (Date TBA)