Immigration Justice and Solidarity with Muslim Communities, July 2017
Things are moving forward with UUC’s Immigrant Justice efforts! Following is a recap of recent progress and some upcoming activities.
On June 18, about a dozen UUC members met with Rev. Beth Chronister to discuss next steps of our work to stand with Muslims, immigrants and refugees. From that meeting, two summer planning groups evolved, with about six individuals interested in each. The following co-chairs are leading our summer planning for UUC’s Social Justice Ministries of Immigration Justice and Solidarity with Muslim Communities:
- Solidarity with Muslim Communities: Dave Mentz & Ruth Pettis
- Immigration Justice: Rick Beckel, Kathleen Cromp & Pam Smith Mentz
If you are interested in joining the summer planning, please contact one of us so we can update you. The former group met for first time on Monday, July 10. The latter group had an initial meeting on July 2 and will meet again on Sunday, July 30.
A few dates that you may wish to add to your calendars:
- Saturday, July 22, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Sanctuary meeting, with legal update by ACLU attorneys. Coordinated by Church Council of Greater Seattle and hosted at UUC. Register by contacting Ann Erickson at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday, July 23, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Bystander Training at UUC. (See below)
- Sunday July 23, 12-1:30 p.m. Hunger Strikes: A call to End Immigrant Detention Join the Northwest Detention Center Resistance for a short documentary screening and discussion of the 2014 and 2017 hunger strikes to protest human rights abuses at the Northwest Detention Center in Tacoma. Reserve your free ticket at nwfilmforum.org.
We will keep you posted on next steps. Please feel free to contact any of us with questions.
~Ruth, Dave, Kathleen, Rick And Pam